By: Hays Carlyon
Trevor Lawrence will be a Jaguar.
If he enters the NFL Draft.
The Clemson junior now holds all of Jacksonville’s hopes in his hands.
The Jaguars “earned” the No. 1 pick in the draft with their 41-17 loss to Chicago on Sunday at TIAA Bank Field, their franchise-record 14th consecutive loss.
Lawrence, a phenom since his freshman season, is expected by all league observers to enter the draft once Clemson completes its playoff run.
Nothing can happen in Week 17 to derail this monumental day.
This will be the first time the Jaguars have ever had the top pick. They couldn’t have picked a better draft.
Now, the mission changes.
The chance to select Lawrence is secure.
Now, Jaguars owner Shad Khan must make sure Lawrence is comfortable being a Jaguar.
He will be, but just play along.
We’re having fun here. Again. Finally. Hopefully for the next 20 years with our franchise quarterback.
Khan must hand Lawrence the keys to the kingdom. Make sure he’s comfortable here.
Here’s how to do it.
Thanks to my buddies Ryan O’Halloran and Mark Long for their contributions in these 10 suggestions.
- Hire a search firm to find the new coach and general manager. That search firm is Trevor Lawrence.
- Trade a fourth and fifth rounder for Raiders receiver Hunter Renfrow.
- Install a rock for Trevor and his teammates to touch before they take the field at TIAA Bank Field. Let’s call it Shad’s Rock. And build a hill for the Jaguars to run down too.
- Hold training camp in Cartersville, Ga. In fact, let’s conduct OTAs in Lawrence’s home town too.
- When the NFL moves to the 17th game, play that game in Death Valley.
- Everyone is required to have long hair.
- Trade a second and third to Cincinnati for receiver Tee Higgins.
- Build slides in the facility.
- Draft running back Travis Etienne with the first rounder from the Rams.
- Trevor gets to keep the red challenge flag.
We are expecting great things from Lawrence. We want him to feel appreciated.
We want him to be excited to be here.
We’ll be anxious until Lawrence announces he’s entering the draft, but for now, rejoice.
The hard work is over. The suffering is likely over.
The Jaguars are … ON THE CLOCK!
(You can email Hays at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @HaysCarlyon)