LAMM AT LARGE: Nick Foles complaints and The Players prediction

LAMM AT LARGE: Nick Foles complaints and The Players prediction

By: David Lamm

Nick Foles Complaints

I’ve purposely waited several days since the news about the Jaguars and Nick Foles agreeing to terms to gauge the fans’ reaction.

To my surprise, it’s far more negative than positive.

• Jaguars paid too much and, therefore, will have trouble signing other free agents.
• Foles’ resume isn’t impressive enough to convince them he’s a franchise-caliber quarterback.
• Foles will be wasted on an otherwise mediocre offense.
• Blake Bortles wasn’t that bad considering his supporting cast.

There’s at least a smidge of validity to their complaints, but not enough to convince me the Jaguars made a mistake. They HAD to fix the quarterback position first and I think they have. Let me put it this way: I think there’s a 65% chance Foles will be a star here; a 35% percent he’ll flop.

As for his signing wrecking the Jaguars salary cap, my advice to fans is quit trying to be a salary cap expert. Almost no one understands the salary cap, and that includes most club officials.

Who will win The Players Championship?

Picking a winner in a PGA Tour tournament is pure folly. Might as well try to shoot the top off a bottom from 50 yards while blindfolded.

But those of us in my profession do it any way. A professional service we’re expected to provide.
Picking a winner for The Players is even harder than, say, forecasting the outcome of the Greensboro Open.

The Players does have the strongest field of any tournament in the world. The top 50 in the World Rankings are playing. The top 50 in this year’s FedEx points race are playing. There are 11 former champions and all of them can still golf their ball.

Then there’s the TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course. It favors no one. A list of past champs proves that.
Superstars have won and so has Craig Perks. Marquee players have won as so has Si Woo Kim.

This year five players who qualified are not here because of injury. Meaning no disrespect, Kevin Chappell, James Hahn. Jamie Lovemark, William McGirt and Sean O’Hair WILL NOT be missed.

I do like Adam Scott’s chances.